Complete in Christ (Colossians 2:6-15)
1. A call to walk in Christ (verse 6-7)
– Twofold appeal:
> Return to a lifestyle of faith that is found in Christ alone.
> Reject what is not according to Christ.
– Two images to explain what it means to walk in Christ.
– A Christian is like a tree rooted in Christ.
– A Christian is like a building – built on Christ and being built up in Christ.
– The foundation is Jesus Christ (1 Cor. 3:11).
– Being built up through Spirit by the Word of God (2 Tim. 3:16-17; 2 Pet. 1:19-21)
2. A call to be vigilant (verse 8)
– Be watchful against anything that is not according to Christ.
– Two categories of false teaching.
> Human Philosophies and empty deceit based on:
> Human traditions (Mark 7:3-13)
> Elemental spirits – doctrines of demons (1 Tim. 4:1-8)
– There are only two religions in this world.
> The religion of sovereign grace.
> The religion of merit.
3. Complete in Christ (verse 9-15)
– Christ is God in the flesh – you can be filled in Him.
– Jesus had two natures – one person – God-man.
– He is fully man and fully God.
– Three fundamental things Christ did:
> In Christ, you have been made alive (v. 11-13a).
> In Christ, you are forgiven (v. 13b-14).
> In Christ, God reigns over all spiritual powers (v. 15).
– How do you then deal with spiritual forces?
– Submitting to the Lordship of Christ, Resisting Satan and Prayer (James 4:7; Eph. 6:18).